Hydro power project in Uttrakhand under environ min scrutiny
New Delhi: The Government has warned
Alakananda Hydro Power Company Limited (AHPCL) of closure of
its project in Uttarakhand for its failure to comply with
environmental norms at the site.
"After examination of the monitoring report of the
Srinagar Hydro Electric Project, we found that the work for
the catchment area treatment is yet to be started by the
"Similarly, afforestation and green belt work at the
site is yet to be commenced," an Environment Ministry official
The ministry has also taken serious note of the fact
that a firm assigned to formulate plans for the stability of
slopes on the reservoir periphery through engineering and
biological measures had not submitted the report to it.
The official pointed out that while the company is
wanting on various environmental compliances, the site
inspection report has shown that construction work of the
project is going on a fast pace and it is likely to be
commissioned within next two years.
AHPCL is implementing the 320 MW project over Alaknanda
river in Srinagar under an agreement signed with governments
of Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand in February 2006.
Taking serious view in the matter, the ministry warned
the project promoter that if the work on environmental
compliances does not progress pari passu (in consonance) with
construction work, the same would be stopped.
It has asked the AHPCL to file a detailed time schedule
of construction vis-a-vis environmental compliances within two
weeks in the matter or face action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!