Intermittent rains damage many houses in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Heavy showers continued to lash various parts of Uttarakhand, where a number of houses were damaged in Chamoli following a cloudburst while many other settlements in Uttarkashi district are sinking under rain effect, forcing occupants to move to safer places.
A tragedy was averted yesterday in Haridwar district when a boat carrying 24 persons capsized in the Ganga near Luxor. However all those on board were saved, officials said.
Intermittent rains have also hampered road repairing work by the BRO and PWD department in flood-hit areas of the state, officials said.
Badkot in Uttarkashi district received 106 mm of rains during the last 24 hours.
Ganga in Haridwar has been flowing close to the danger mark for the past few days.
In Pauri district, a centuries-old Math was washed away by the surging waters of Alaknanda river.
The historic Keshorai Math, established in 1625 and located on the banks of Alaknanda, was swept away by the river, in spate following heavy rains yesterday, Pauri District Disaster Management officer Ravneet Cheema said.
Lashed by rains over the past few days, the foundations of the structure collapsed yesterday, she said. A wall is all that stands there now, she added.
It has been raining in the district over the past few days, with no let-up in rainfall even today, she said.
The Badrinath highway is closed due to debris from landslips at Kameda in Chamoli district, where six houses have collapsed in Deval and Tharali areas and over half a dozen bridges have been swept away, an official said.
In Gunal village of Uttarkashi district houses have begun to sink under the impact of rains with their fear-stricken occupants moving to safer places, an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda