Intermittent rains lash Uttarakhand, search on to trace official
Dehradun: Intermittent rains lashed Uttarakhand on Thursday even as efforts were on to trace SDM Ajay Arora, who was swept away by the swirling waters of Mandakini while supervising debris cleaning and relief operations in Kedar valley.
Almora sub-divisional magistrate Ajay Arora deputed to oversee relief operations in Kedar valley slipped off a makeshift bridge over Mandakini and fell into the river which was in spate following heavy rains in Rudraprayag district yesterday.
He was returning from Kedarnath to Garurchatti base camp when the mishap occurred.
Official sources here said the river is still being combed to trace the official.
Moderate to heavy rains are continuing intermittently at all the places in Uttarakhand, State Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre here said.
Intermittent rains continued in Dehradun too with the state capital receiving 91.8 mm of showers in the last 24 hours.
With the MeT department predicting similar weather conditions over the next few days, administration in all the districts has been asked to remain vigilant, official sources said.
Meanwhile, the state government still has no clue to the whereabouts of SDM Ajay Arora a day after he fell into river Mandakini on his way back from Kedarnath.
National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) and police personnel are combing the swollen river in search of the official, Rudraprayag`s District Disaster Management Officer Meera Kaintura said.
Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has expressed grief over the mishap and asked the family members of the official to maintain fortitude.
He has also asked officials engaged in relief operations in Kedar ghati to go about their work carefully in the difficult terrain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown