Jaya announces Rs 5 cr in support to Uttarakhand
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today announced a sum of Rs five crore as a "token of support and solidarity" to the rain-ravaged state of Uttarakhand, facing its worst natural calamity, and assured "any assistance" to the Himalayan state.
She said Uttarakhand was faced with a very major task of ensuring effective and immediate rescue, relief and rehabilitation and reconstruction of the "devastated" areas in the coming days.
"As a token of support and solidarity of the Government and people of Tamil Nadu with Government and people of Uttarakhand in their hour of need, I have ordered immediate contribution of a sum of Rs 5 crore from the Chief Minister`s Public Relief Fund to the Government of Uttarakhand," she said.
The heavy rainfall and landslides had caused extensive loss of life and property and untold suffering both to the residents of the affected areas and a large number of pilgrims and tourists visiting the holy shrines of Kedarnath, Badrinath, Gangotri and Hemkunt Sahib, she said in statement.
The Government of Tamil Nadu "stands ready to render any other assistance as may be required by the Government of Uttarakhand," she said.
She recalled her government`s steps to rescue and bring back pilgrims from Tamil Nadu stranded in Kedarnath and Badrinath and said 275 persons have been brought to Chennai as on June 22 and all facilities extended to them.
She assured extending the facilities to the rest returning from Uttarakhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert