JeM ‘threat’ to blow up Doon, Haridwar stations in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad on Tuesday allegedly threatened to blow up major railway stations and places of religious and tourist interest in Uttarakhand in retaliation to the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, a senior police official said.
The letter written purportedly by the Karachi based area commander of terror outrfit Jaish-e-Mohammad contains a threat to blow up Dehradun, Haridwar and Kathgodam rail junctions near Nainital and prominent places of religious and tourist interest like Har Ki Pauri in the holy city, Haridwar SSP Arun Mohan Joshi told PTI.
"Though the authenticity of the threat and the origin of the letter is being examined, we are not taking any chances and have alerted the highest authorities in places mentioned in the letter", he said.
Security around the places mentioned in the letter has been beefed up.
The letter addressed to former Superintendent of Haridwar Railway station Amrinder Singh was received today, he said adding similar letters have been issued to retired railway officials in the past as well.
The difference between the latest threat letter and those received in the past is that this one has purportedly been written by Jaish-e-Mohommad whereas the earlier ones bore the name of Lashkar-e-Toiba, the SSP said.
Another difference is that this one specifically mentions that the terror strike (bombing of these places) is to avenge the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, Joshi said.
The handwriting on the letter is being matched with that of earlier similar letters received by railway authorities in Haridwar, he said adding the possibility of some mischievous element playing a prank cannot be ruled out.
Some time ago, a similar threat letter had been received by the same retired railway official threatening to bomb Haridwar railway station but it turned out to be a hoax, he said.
The letter had been traced to one Naresh who was arrested from Roorkee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?