JeM ‘threat’ to blow up Doon, Haridwar stations in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad on Tuesday allegedly threatened to blow up major railway stations and places of religious and tourist interest in Uttarakhand in retaliation to the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, a senior police official said.
The letter written purportedly by the Karachi based area commander of terror outrfit Jaish-e-Mohammad contains a threat to blow up Dehradun, Haridwar and Kathgodam rail junctions near Nainital and prominent places of religious and tourist interest like Har Ki Pauri in the holy city, Haridwar SSP Arun Mohan Joshi told PTI.
"Though the authenticity of the threat and the origin of the letter is being examined, we are not taking any chances and have alerted the highest authorities in places mentioned in the letter", he said.
Security around the places mentioned in the letter has been beefed up.
The letter addressed to former Superintendent of Haridwar Railway station Amrinder Singh was received today, he said adding similar letters have been issued to retired railway officials in the past as well.
The difference between the latest threat letter and those received in the past is that this one has purportedly been written by Jaish-e-Mohommad whereas the earlier ones bore the name of Lashkar-e-Toiba, the SSP said.
Another difference is that this one specifically mentions that the terror strike (bombing of these places) is to avenge the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, Joshi said.
The handwriting on the letter is being matched with that of earlier similar letters received by railway authorities in Haridwar, he said adding the possibility of some mischievous element playing a prank cannot be ruled out.
Some time ago, a similar threat letter had been received by the same retired railway official threatening to bomb Haridwar railway station but it turned out to be a hoax, he said.
The letter had been traced to one Naresh who was arrested from Roorkee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon