Kailash Mansarovar Yatra begins
Nainital: The famous Kailash Mansarovar yatra has began with the first batch of 47 pilgrims starting the 28-day-long journey for the religious voyage to the abode of Lord Shiva in Tibet.
The first batch of the pilgrims, including six women, who started their journey on Friday from Delhi on Saturday reached at Chokari in Pithoragarh district.
A total of 16 batches are scheduled to undertake the famous yatra this year, the Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam, the nodal agency responsible for making all the arrangements for the yatra, said.
The first batch consists of pilgrims from 14 states of Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Gujarat, Haryana Himachal, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and West Bengal.
The maximum number of pilgrims are from Delhi (13) followed by Gujarat, Haryana and Karnataka, said Deepak Rawat the Managing Director of the Nigam.
During the course of the journey, the pilgrims will circumambulate Mansarovor lake which lies at 15,060 ft above mean sea level. They would also go around the Kailash Mountain, which would involve trekking at high altitudes of up to 19,500 feet, under inhospitable conditions, including extremely cold and rugged terrain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, BJP gains lead in Pune; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar