Kashmiri students protesting Afzal Guru`s hanging
Dehradun: A group of Kashmiri students was taken into custody here on Tuesday as a preventive measure while demonstrating at the busy Ghanta Ghar chawk here in protest against the hanging of Parliament terror attack convict Afzal Guru, police said.
Sixteen Kashmiri students studying in different institutions in the city were held as a preventive measure when they gathered at Ghanta Ghar chowk and began shouting slogans in protest against Guru`s execution, they said.
Though they were protesting peacefully but police had information that VHP activists were also planning to march to the busy chawk to stage a parallel demonstration justifying the terror convict`s hanging.
Anticipating trouble, the students from Kashmir were taken into custody to avert any confrontation, a police official said.
The students have been booked under Section 151 of the CrPC which is a bailable offence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire