Kashmiri students protesting Afzal Guru`s hanging
Dehradun: A group of Kashmiri students was taken into custody here on Tuesday as a preventive measure while demonstrating at the busy Ghanta Ghar chawk here in protest against the hanging of Parliament terror attack convict Afzal Guru, police said.
Sixteen Kashmiri students studying in different institutions in the city were held as a preventive measure when they gathered at Ghanta Ghar chowk and began shouting slogans in protest against Guru`s execution, they said.
Though they were protesting peacefully but police had information that VHP activists were also planning to march to the busy chawk to stage a parallel demonstration justifying the terror convict`s hanging.
Anticipating trouble, the students from Kashmir were taken into custody to avert any confrontation, a police official said.
The students have been booked under Section 151 of the CrPC which is a bailable offence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'