Kedarnath pilgrimage from May 4; 1,000 pilgrims to visit daily
Dehradun: One thousand devotees will be allowed to visit Kedarnath shrine daily when its portals are opened on May 04, Chief Minister Harish Rawat said and sought to allay safety concerns of pilgrims.
The number of visitors to the Himalayan shrine is being regulated to avoid any confusion in case of an emergency, he told reporters here.
The devotees will also be bio-metrically registered before being allowed to embark on the pilgrimage to keep a tab on them, he said yesterday.
Kedarnath and adjoining areas had suffered massive devastation when a natural calamity hit Uttarakhand last year.
The Chief Minister said all efforts were underway to ensure smooth pilgrimage and added, "There is no reason why they should be anxious about their safety."
“There will be arrangements in place to airlift passengers, in case of any emergency, and in landslide prone areas, enough vehicles and SDRF personnel will be deployed to evacuate stranded people.”
Efforts are also being made on a war footing to repair and build the `char-dham route` well before the start of the annual pilgrimage.
The yatra this season is scheduled to begin on May 2 with the opening of the gates of Yamunotri and Gangotri shrines. It will be followed by the opening of the portals of Kedarnath on May 4 and Badrinath on May 5.
Cautioning that there should be no politics over char dham yatra which is central to the state`s economy, Rawat asked political parties to rise above their organisational affiliations and give positive support to the state government in its efforts to conduct a smooth pilgrimage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?