Kedarnath shrine may get ropeway
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand government is exploring the possibility of constructing ropeway to the Kedarnath shrine, an official said on Tuesday.
Officials have discussed the feasibility of erecting it from Gaurikund - the base camp for Kedarnath - to the shrine 14 km up in the hills.
Minister of State for Central Planning and Parliamentary Affairs Rajeev Shukla is said to have seconded the idea as a ropeway would make it easier for pilgrims to access the revered shrine.
The stretch between Gaurikund, Rambada and Kedarnath was destroyed in last month`s flash floods and landslides.
"Restructuring of the shrine will be done keeping in mind all technical aspects and hazards created by rains and other natural elements," the official said.
Alternate pathways to the shrine will also be explored to enhance safety of pilgrims to minimize the distance travelled on foot.
The Archaeological Survey of India is being consulted in the remodelling of the Kedarnath shrine area.
While rains continue to hamper relief work and the skies will only clear up next month, work on redeveloping the shrine will begin not before October.
"An assessment of the costs involved, technical aspects of a ropeway, meeting safety standards... will be kept in mind before taking a final call," a senior bureaucrat said.
The government runs two ropeways in Uttarakhand. Ropeway is also being explored in Purnagiri and Yamunotri.
The estimated cost of a 3.84 km ropeway from Janki Chatti to Yamunotri is Rs 70 crore, and Rs 35 crore will be spent on the Thuligad-Purnagiri ropeway of less than a kilometre.
Technical studies have been done for ropeway from Binsar Road to Kasar Devi temple in Almora, from Rishikesh to Kunjapuri, from Snow View to Nanital Zoo, from Chakrata to Tiger Falls and at Dayara Bugyal.
The Border Road Organisation (BRO) has been asked to complete work on all damaged roads to the Char Dham Yatra route within a fortnight.
Excavation machines and other equipment of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have reached Guptkashi in Rudraprayag district.
Depending on the weather, they will be airlifted to the Kedarnath shrine to dig out the remaining bodies trapped in several feet of rubble and debris.
In the nature`s fury a month ago, most damage and deaths took place in Kedarnath area where hundreds died in the surging rivers and tumbling hills. Hundreds died in the nearby jungles of hunger and exhaustion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked