Kedarnath to reopen on May 8
Dehra Dun: The portals of the famous
Himalayan shrine of Kedarnath will be reopened for pilgrims
on May 8, officials said on Wednesday.
"Kedarnath temple would be reopened on May 8 at 0500 hrs
in the morning," said Chairman of Shri Badrinath-Kedarnath
The mahurat for reopening of Kedarnath shrine was
decided at Omkareshwar temple in Ukhimath, the winter sojourn
of Lord Shiva, by priests and other religious leaders on the
occasion of Mahashivaratri today, he said.
Kedarnath shrine, dedicated to Lord Shiva, is situated a
height of 3,581 metre in Garhwal Himalayas in Rudraprayag
After reaching the last road head at Gaurikund, the
pilgrims have to undertake an arduous and tough trek of 14 km
to reach the shrine.
Kedarnath is among the four Himalayan shrines called
Chardhams that include Badrinath, Gangotri and Yamunotri. The
shrines are closed in October-November each year and reopen in
April-May as the area remains snow-bound during the period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla