Keep yatra preparations out of ambit of model code: Maikhuri
Gopeshwar: With only four months left for the Nanda Devi Raj Jat yatra to begin, Uttarakhand Assembly Deputy Speaker Anusuya Prasad Maikhuri on Tuesday asked the Election Commission to keep preparations for the pilgrimage out of the purview of the model code of conduct.
"So much is yet to be done on Nandadevi yatra route damaged in last year`s calamity. But this is not possible with the model code of conduct in force. As the yatra is scheduled to begin on August 18, we request the EC to keep preparations for the yatra out of the ambit of the model code," Maikhuri, who represents Karnaprayag seat in the state Assembly, told reporters here.
Undertaken every twelve years, the Nanda Devi Raj Jat Yatra passes through difficult hilly terrain in Chamoli, Pithoragarh and Almora districts of Uttarakhand.
Maikhuri said the state government has already released Rs 1.5 crore for the preparations but work is not picking due to the model code of conduct in force.
"We request the EC to keep preparations for the yatra out of the ambit of the model code to impart the much needed momentum to road repair work on the yatra route," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India