Kishore Upadhyay takes charge as U`khand Cong chief, rubbishes reports of factional feud
Dehradun: Newly-appointed Uttarakhand Pradesh Congress Committee president Kishore Upadhyay formally assumed charge at the party headquarters here this evening, amidst conspicuous absence of former Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna and his loyalists.
Upadhyay, who was appointed state president on June 11, reached the party office in an open jeep along with former state Congress president Yashpal Arya, and was welcomed by scores of leaders and supporters.
Senior party leaders like Arya, Pritam Singh, Dinesh Aggarwal, Sarita Arya and Ganesh were present at the event and congratulated Upadhyay on being appointed the new state president.
However, the event was marked by conspicuous absence of Bahuguna, Subodh Uniyal and other MLAs who are believed to be closer to the former chief minister.
Uniyal, a Bahuguna loyalist, was among the front-runners for the post of state president, but eventually lost to Upadhyay, who is believed to be a incumbent Chief Minister Harish Rawat loyalist.
Earlier in the day, Upadhyay denied reports of factionalism in the state unit and said that everyone was committed to work together for the party.
"There is no factionalism in the party`s state unit and every leader is committed to work together for strengthening the party," Upadhyay told PTI.
Upadhyay also rubbished reports of differences with Uniyal and said he had met Uniyal and both of them were committed to work for the party`s progress.
My priority would be to take everyone along so that the party can be strengthened, Upadhyay said, adding that if the party is strong all leaders will benefit from it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!