Kumbha Mela: Cong for monitoring committee of MLAs
Dehra Dun: A Congress leader today asked the
Uttarakhand government to set up a committee of MLAs to
monitor the preparations being done for Mahakumbha Mela in
Haridwar next year.
As Mahakumbha Mela is one of the largest congregation of
pilgrims on the earth, there should be a monitoring committee
of MLAs to keep a watch on the works being done for the
purpose, Deputy leader of Congress legislature party in state
Assembly Tilak Raj Behad told reporters here.
There should be transparency in the works related to the
Mela as around 5-6 crore pilgrims are expected to arrive
during the period, he said.
Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank has taken action
against some officials for dereliction of duty in the
mela-related works, but that is not enough, the Sitarganj MLA
The centre has sanctioned a budget of Rs 400 crore for
the Mahakumbha Mela.
Kumbha (meaning, pot) Mela (fair) is a sacred Hindu
pilgrimage that takes place at four locations in the country,
including Haridwar. For each site, it comes every 12 years.
In Haridwar, it will happen on the banks of river Ganges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured