Lakhs of devotees take dip in Ganga on Baisakhi
Dehra Dun: In twin holy towns of Haridwar
and Rishikesh, lakhs of people from different states took a
holy dip in the river Ganga on the occasion of Baisakhi.
More than one lakh people have so far taken a dip in
the river Ganga at various bathing ghats of Haridwar and their
number is expected to cross the mark of 2.5 lakh at the end of
the day, police said.
Elaborate security arrangements have been made by the
police and administration for the purpose.
People from Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh,
Rajasthan, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Chhatisgarh and
Jharkhand converged on the ghats and celebrated Baisakhi with
traditional fervour and gaiety.
Punjabi men and women attired in traditional dresses
were seen singing and dancing in groups at various places to
celebrate Baisakhi, the harvesting festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened