Law and order issue rocks Uttarakhand Assembly
Dehra Dun: The issue of deteriorating law and order situation in Uttarakhand on Wednesday rocked the state assembly with opposition BJP creating a pandemonium which forced the Speaker to adjourn the house twice.
As soon as the zero hour began, the BJP members led by leader of opposition Ajay Bhat were on their feet demanding an immediate discussion over the deteriorating law and order situation in the state under Rule 310 (adjournment motion).
Referring to the incidents of dacoity in the house of a Congress MLA Furkan Ahmed in Roorkee area and murder of a folk singer from Haryana in Haridwar, Bhatt said the law and order situation in the state has collapsed and the issue should be discussed immediately under Rule 310.
Bhatt was supported by his other party MLAs, who also urged Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal to allow them to raise the issue.
The Speaker, however, rejected their demand of raising the issue under adjournment motion and said instead he would allow to raise the issue under Rule 58 (Calling attention motion). This enraged the BJP members, who jumped into the well of the House raising slogans against the state government.
Kunjwal tried to pacify the members and resume their seats. As his repeated pleas were unheard, he first adjourned the house till 1330 hrs and then 1500 hrs.
Later, talking to reporters, Bhatt said the government has no respect for the parliamentary values and that is why it is shying away from discussion in the assembly over the important issues related with the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list