Light rains received in Uttarakhand, river Ganga close to danger mark
Dehradun: Most places in Uttarakhand on Saturday received light rains though the river Ganga was flowing close to the danger mark, flooding some villages.
Most of the places across the state, including Dehradun, received light showers, the MeT department said today.
While Nainital received 17.6 MM of rains, Dehradun received just 4 mm of rains in the last 24 hours, it said.
The sky is clear in the state capital since morning, it added.
However, Haldwani in Nainital district received heavy showers with the maximum 112 MM rainfall recorded there in the past 24 hours, the weather man said.
Incessant rains over the past few days has swollen the Ganga at Haridwar, which was flowing close to the danger mark yesterday, inundating some villages in Luxor area, state Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre (DMMC) here said today.
About 600-700 affected people have been evacuated to safety by the administration, it said.
The Ganga in Haridwar is flowing at 293.70 metres, whereas the danger mark is 294 metres, the DMMC said.
Pauri district was also lashed by moderate rains over the past few days with most of the rivers and canals in Lansdown area in spate.
The administration has asked people living close to the banks of rivers like Nayal and Mander in the area to move to safer places.
Power supply has been affected for the past 15 hours in Kedar valley, authorities here said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic