Light rains received in Uttarakhand, river Ganga close to danger mark
Dehradun: Most places in Uttarakhand on Saturday received light rains though the river Ganga was flowing close to the danger mark, flooding some villages.
Most of the places across the state, including Dehradun, received light showers, the MeT department said today.
While Nainital received 17.6 MM of rains, Dehradun received just 4 mm of rains in the last 24 hours, it said.
The sky is clear in the state capital since morning, it added.
However, Haldwani in Nainital district received heavy showers with the maximum 112 MM rainfall recorded there in the past 24 hours, the weather man said.
Incessant rains over the past few days has swollen the Ganga at Haridwar, which was flowing close to the danger mark yesterday, inundating some villages in Luxor area, state Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre (DMMC) here said today.
About 600-700 affected people have been evacuated to safety by the administration, it said.
The Ganga in Haridwar is flowing at 293.70 metres, whereas the danger mark is 294 metres, the DMMC said.
Pauri district was also lashed by moderate rains over the past few days with most of the rivers and canals in Lansdown area in spate.
The administration has asked people living close to the banks of rivers like Nayal and Mander in the area to move to safer places.
Power supply has been affected for the past 15 hours in Kedar valley, authorities here said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!