Lipstick competition at IIT fest: Govt orders probe
Roorkee: A competition during IIT-Roorkee`s
annual festival whereby boys holding lipsticks in their mouth
applied them on girls has sparked a controversy with saffron
groups staging a protest and the BJP government in Uttarakhand
ordering an inquiry.
The competition was held yesterday during the festival
named "Thomso 10".
Demanding action against the engineering institute for
holding the "obscene competition", activists of Akhil Bhartiya
Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), Hindu Jagran Manch and their
friendly organisations today staged a protest in its campus.
They shouted slogans against the authorities and burnt
an effigy of IIT-R`s dean.
"We condemn this incident. We will lock the gates of IIT
Roorkee if the management does not take any action in this
regard," AVBP secretary Raj Singh Pundir said.
Meanwhile, Uttarakhand government has launched an
inquiry into the incident.
"We will not tolerate any obscenity in our state. We have
launched an inquiry in this regard," Uttarakhand Education
Minister Govind Singh Bisht said.
Police said they have not received any complaint about
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city