Lipstick competition at IIT fest: Govt orders probe
Roorkee: A competition during IIT-Roorkee`s
annual festival whereby boys holding lipsticks in their mouth
applied them on girls has sparked a controversy with saffron
groups staging a protest and the BJP government in Uttarakhand
ordering an inquiry.
The competition was held yesterday during the festival
named "Thomso 10".
Demanding action against the engineering institute for
holding the "obscene competition", activists of Akhil Bhartiya
Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), Hindu Jagran Manch and their
friendly organisations today staged a protest in its campus.
They shouted slogans against the authorities and burnt
an effigy of IIT-R`s dean.
"We condemn this incident. We will lock the gates of IIT
Roorkee if the management does not take any action in this
regard," AVBP secretary Raj Singh Pundir said.
Meanwhile, Uttarakhand government has launched an
inquiry into the incident.
"We will not tolerate any obscenity in our state. We have
launched an inquiry in this regard," Uttarakhand Education
Minister Govind Singh Bisht said.
Police said they have not received any complaint about
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown