Maikhuri elected Dy Speaker of Uttarakhand Assembly
Dehradun: Congress MLA from Karnaprayag in Chamoli district Anusuya Prasad Maikhuri was today officially elected as the Deputy Speaker of Uttarakhand Assembly.
Maikhuri`s candidature for the post was proposed by Subodh Uniyal, Lalit Farswan, Jeet Ram and Narayan Ram Arya and was seconded by Sunderlal Mandrawal, Hemesh Kharkwal, Ganesh Godiyal and Mayukh Mahar.
Maikhuri was the only candidate in the fray for the post.
Congratulating Maikhuri on his election to the post, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said Gairsain where the state government has decided to build a Vidhan Bahwan, falls into the Deputy Speaker`s constituency and his election to the post will give further boost to development activities in the backward hill areas of the state.
Assembly Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal also hailed Maikhuri`s election to the post saying that he hoped the House will benefit hugely from his guidance.
The House also observed two minutes` silence to condole the death of former prime minister I K Gujral.
Paying tribute to Gujral, Bahuguna described him as a "man of learning and a statesman whose death was an irreparable loss to the nation".
"What he did for the Dalits and the backward sections during his brief stint as Prime Minister can never be forgotten," the chief minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?