Maikhuri elected Dy Speaker of Uttarakhand Assembly
Dehradun: Congress MLA from Karnaprayag in Chamoli district Anusuya Prasad Maikhuri was today officially elected as the Deputy Speaker of Uttarakhand Assembly.
Maikhuri`s candidature for the post was proposed by Subodh Uniyal, Lalit Farswan, Jeet Ram and Narayan Ram Arya and was seconded by Sunderlal Mandrawal, Hemesh Kharkwal, Ganesh Godiyal and Mayukh Mahar.
Maikhuri was the only candidate in the fray for the post.
Congratulating Maikhuri on his election to the post, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said Gairsain where the state government has decided to build a Vidhan Bahwan, falls into the Deputy Speaker`s constituency and his election to the post will give further boost to development activities in the backward hill areas of the state.
Assembly Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal also hailed Maikhuri`s election to the post saying that he hoped the House will benefit hugely from his guidance.
The House also observed two minutes` silence to condole the death of former prime minister I K Gujral.
Paying tribute to Gujral, Bahuguna described him as a "man of learning and a statesman whose death was an irreparable loss to the nation".
"What he did for the Dalits and the backward sections during his brief stint as Prime Minister can never be forgotten," the chief minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- JNU shouts anti-nationalist slogans; nation questions intent
- Ishrat Jahan was LeT terrorist, reveals David Headley
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanumanthappa passes away
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches three new services for train passengers
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'