Mass cremation to begin in Kedarnath today
Gauchar: The IAF, Army and Uttarakhand administration on Tuesday launched a massive operation to send logistics like firewood and fuel for conducting last rites of those killed in the worst-hit Kedarnath Valley.
Multiple agencies undertaking relief and rescue operations are increasingly getting worried about the imminent spread of diseases and the rotting of the bodies in the temple town area as the tragedy is nine days old now.
But the weather, with heavy cloud cover and rains, is the biggest challenge as heavy choppers like Mi-17 are not able to enter the narrow airspace in the Kedarnath valley, just below Yamunotri.
"All efforts are directed to start the funeral in Kedarnath today. Once the helicopters enter the area we will drop the funeral items," a senior official said requesting anonymity.
"Weather check sorties are being flown," a senior IAF officer said.
The operations for Kedarnath are being controlled from the helipad here as the IAF has lined up three Mi-17s to carry wood, fuel, ghee, wooden planks, ropes and other stuff to Kedarnath.
Truckloads of wood logs have lined up on the tarmac here.
ALH Sarang helicopters are airborne to enter the Kedarnath valley.
The Army aviation on its part too has readied its `Cheetahs` to fly a small sortie and check out the area for clearances and dropping of food items.
"The plan is to drop the logistics for funeral at Kedarnath. On ground there we have ITBP, NDRF and state authorities to initiate the task.But all will be decided by the weather and if the choppers are able to drop the logistics," another state government official said.
The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) has also loaded food items, water and medicines in one of the Mi-17s for the agencies operating in Kedarnath and any possible stranded people.
"The Kedarnath valley is by and large free from people who were stranded. We just need to ensure the respect of the dead. Time is running out for everyone," a senior IAF officer supervising air operations, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared