More disasters in store if steps not taken: Bahuguna
New Delhi: Citing human interference in nature as being responsible for the nature`s fury in Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh, noted environmentalist Sunder Lal Bahuguna today warned of more such disasters if people did not wake up now.
"I have been emphasizing for years to stop this reckless cutting of forests in hilly areas. If you keep disturbing the nature, disasters like this will continue to happen," he told over the phone.
Bahuguna said walnut trees should be planted in the mountains instead of pine trees. "Walnut trees have wider leaves and are capable of absorbing water while pine trees, which the British had planted, cannot do that and thus land has become vulnerable to erosion and heavy rain can lead to floods and landslides. We should replace them once things are settled in the state," said the veteran.
Dr Anil Joshi, founder president of the Himalayan Environmental Studies and Conservation Organisation (Hesco) suggested locals be involved in the process of disaster management.
Disaster management can never be effective if strategies are made in Delhi or at any other place, sitting in a room. Government should involve locals and victims while making plans. Victims of such tragedies in the past can give more practical suggestions," He said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!