Nanda Raj Jat Yatra to begin on August 29
Gopeshwar: Uttarakhand`s world famous religious festival Nanda Raj Jat yatra, held once every 12 years in the hills of Chamoli district, will begin this year on August 29.
"The yatra will start this year with a four-horned sheep on August 29 from Nauti," Nanda Raj Jat Yatra committee`s general secretary Bhuvan Nautiyal announced while formally releasing a detailed calendar of the journey here today.
"The yatra, one of the most important religious and cultural events of the state, will conclude after a 19-day arduous journey through the Himalayas on September 16," he said.
The calendar of the event was released on the occasion of Basant Panchmi today in the presence of a delegation of the Kunwars of Kasuan village, the traditional organisers of the event led by Rakesh Kunwar.
The event, which symbolises Goddess Parvati`s send-off to the Himalayas, is being organised for centuries in the hills of Uttarakhand.
People from both Garhwal and Kumaon divisions of the state as well as other parts of the country and abroad participate in this three-week long event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert