Nanda Raj Jat Yatra to begin on August 29
Gopeshwar: Uttarakhand`s world famous religious festival Nanda Raj Jat yatra, held once every 12 years in the hills of Chamoli district, will begin this year on August 29.
"The yatra will start this year with a four-horned sheep on August 29 from Nauti," Nanda Raj Jat Yatra committee`s general secretary Bhuvan Nautiyal announced while formally releasing a detailed calendar of the journey here today.
"The yatra, one of the most important religious and cultural events of the state, will conclude after a 19-day arduous journey through the Himalayas on September 16," he said.
The calendar of the event was released on the occasion of Basant Panchmi today in the presence of a delegation of the Kunwars of Kasuan village, the traditional organisers of the event led by Rakesh Kunwar.
The event, which symbolises Goddess Parvati`s send-off to the Himalayas, is being organised for centuries in the hills of Uttarakhand.
People from both Garhwal and Kumaon divisions of the state as well as other parts of the country and abroad participate in this three-week long event.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory