NCW to visit U`khand to probe atrocities against flood victims
New Delhi: A team of National Commission for Women will soon visit flood-ravaged Uttarakhand following reports of complaints of atrocities against women in some parts of the hill state.
NCW member Nirmala Samant Prabhavalkar said the Commission
has decided to send a team shortly to Uttarakhand to probe the "serious matter".
"A local MLA has informed us about cases of atrocities against women in flood hit areas of Uttarakhand. NCW will soon send a team which will visit various parts of the state," Prabhavalkar told PTI.
She said NCW has also received reports of distressed women being robbed off and that the commission has also asked the complainants to file formal complaints.
Terming the reports of atrocities against women as "disheartening", Prabhavalkar said the Commission has started correspondence with the state government expressing its serious concern.
Prabhavalkar, who is also the treasurer of Siddhivinayak temple in Mumbai, said the temple has donated Rs 25 lakh for immediate relief for flood affected people in Uttarakhand.
She said in its board meeting the temple management has also decided to offer Rs five crore for rehabilitation of survivors in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31