NCW to visit U`khand to probe atrocities against flood victims
New Delhi: A team of National Commission for Women will soon visit flood-ravaged Uttarakhand following reports of complaints of atrocities against women in some parts of the hill state.
NCW member Nirmala Samant Prabhavalkar said the Commission
has decided to send a team shortly to Uttarakhand to probe the "serious matter".
"A local MLA has informed us about cases of atrocities against women in flood hit areas of Uttarakhand. NCW will soon send a team which will visit various parts of the state," Prabhavalkar told PTI.
She said NCW has also received reports of distressed women being robbed off and that the commission has also asked the complainants to file formal complaints.
Terming the reports of atrocities against women as "disheartening", Prabhavalkar said the Commission has started correspondence with the state government expressing its serious concern.
Prabhavalkar, who is also the treasurer of Siddhivinayak temple in Mumbai, said the temple has donated Rs 25 lakh for immediate relief for flood affected people in Uttarakhand.
She said in its board meeting the temple management has also decided to offer Rs five crore for rehabilitation of survivors in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir