Near-total bandh in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: A near-complete bandh was observed today in Uttarakhand following a call from the BJP and other parties to oppose diesel price hike, FDI in multi-brand retail and cap on subsidised LPG.
Most of the shops and commercial outlets remained closed in Dehradun and other major towns and cities of the state with the BJP and other parties` workers holding protest marches and burning effigies of the central government on the issues.
The state government has deployed adequate police force tokeep vigil at various vantage points in Dehradun and other areas of the hill state. No untoward incident was, however, reported from anywhere in the state, police said.
Most of the private schools in the state remained closed.
In Dehradun, a skeletal traffic was plying on the roads with people remaining mostly indoors.
Thin attendance was registered in government offices and other commercial institutions like banks and post offices.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview