Near-total bandh in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: A near-complete bandh was observed today in Uttarakhand following a call from the BJP and other parties to oppose diesel price hike, FDI in multi-brand retail and cap on subsidised LPG.
Most of the shops and commercial outlets remained closed in Dehradun and other major towns and cities of the state with the BJP and other parties` workers holding protest marches and burning effigies of the central government on the issues.
The state government has deployed adequate police force tokeep vigil at various vantage points in Dehradun and other areas of the hill state. No untoward incident was, however, reported from anywhere in the state, police said.
Most of the private schools in the state remained closed.
In Dehradun, a skeletal traffic was plying on the roads with people remaining mostly indoors.
Thin attendance was registered in government offices and other commercial institutions like banks and post offices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IND vs WI: 'Man of the match' Ravichandran Ashwin credits skipper Virat Kohli for Antigua ton
- Pak police arrest Qandeel's sister, cousin
- 'Suicides in educational institutions not higher than society'
- Barack Obama's half-brother says he will vote for Donald Trump
- Three Ukrainian soldiers killed in separatist east