Near-total bandh in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: A near-complete bandh was observed today in Uttarakhand following a call from the BJP and other parties to oppose diesel price hike, FDI in multi-brand retail and cap on subsidised LPG.
Most of the shops and commercial outlets remained closed in Dehradun and other major towns and cities of the state with the BJP and other parties` workers holding protest marches and burning effigies of the central government on the issues.
The state government has deployed adequate police force tokeep vigil at various vantage points in Dehradun and other areas of the hill state. No untoward incident was, however, reported from anywhere in the state, police said.
Most of the private schools in the state remained closed.
In Dehradun, a skeletal traffic was plying on the roads with people remaining mostly indoors.
Thin attendance was registered in government offices and other commercial institutions like banks and post offices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city