Nearly 1000 pilgrims stranded in Garhwal
Dehradun: Nearly 1000 pilgrims are stranded in various areas of Garhwal following a series of landslides in Uttarkashi and Chamoli districts.
The landslides, which began following heavy rains during the past few days, are continuing intermittently in various areas of the two district disrupting vehicular traffic on both Rishikeish-Badrinath and Rishikesh-Gangotri highways.
Officials of disaster management and mitigation centre (DMMC), a state government nodal agency for management of disasters, on Friday said that intermittent landslides were continuing at Paatal Ganga, Birahi, Bhimtalla areas of the hilly Chamoli district since last night causing disruption of vehicular traffic on the Rishikesh-Badrinath Highway.
"Due to landslides on the Badiranth-Rishikesh Highway, nearly 400-600 pilgrims are stranded at various areas," they said.
Landslides also hit Bhatwari and Thiran Halkughat areas causing disruption of vehicular traffic on Gangotri-Rishikesh Highway due to which over 500 pilgrims are stranded.
Last year, the government had suspended the chardham yatra to Gangotri and Badrinath shrines following heavy landslides and torrential rains for nearly a week.
Landslides are common in fragile hills of Garhwal region causing disruption in the road network which in turn often cause road accidents leading to fatalities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues