New Lokayukta bill passed in Uttarakhand Assembly
Dehradun: Uttarakhand assembly on Tuesday passed a new Lokayukta Bill modelled on the Centre`s Lokpal even as opposition BJP walked out of the House.
The new bill replaces Uttarakhand Lokayukta Act passed by the state assembly during the previous BJP government headed by Bhuvan Chandra Khanduri.
As the bill was passed through voting, BJP MLAs, led by Leader of Opposition Ajay Bhatt, staged a walkout raising questions on the justification of the legislation when Uttarakhand Lokayukta Act passed by the House during Khanduri`s tenure had already become an Act after getting Presidential assent in September last year.
Bhatt said the earlier bill could have been an effective anti-corruption instrument and there was no need for an entirely new legislation to replace it.
According to the new Lokayukta Bill, the Lokayukta will be created in the state and headed by a practising or retired judge or Chief Justice of the High Court.
Besides the head, there will be four members on the panel out of which 50 per cent will be from the judiciary and 50 per cent from SC/ST/OBC, minorities or women.
As per provisions of the legislation, no member of a legislature of any other state or Union territory can be a?member of the Lokayukta body.
The head of the Lokayukta and its members will be appointed by a five-member selection committee headed by the Chief Minister.
The bill had been tabled in the House yesterday by Parliamentary Affairs minister Indira Hridayesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing