Nine trapped at snow-bound hill station in U`khand
Dehra Dun: Nine persons, including a top
official of West Bengal Government, were stranded at a tourist
spot in Uttarakhand due to heavy snowfall in high ranges,
official sources said.
Efforts are underway to rescue Vishwas, assistant
commissioner (Commercial), West Bengal, four other tourists
and as many porters who are trapped at a location in Mayali
top, about 250 km from here, near Kedarnath area in
Though a private helicopter spotted them, due to bad
weather it could not land there, District Magistrate Ravinath
The district administration has asked the state
government to seek help of the Air Force to rescue them and
provide them with food and water. The four tourists and
porters are not identified yet.
A rescue team comprising police and trekking experts has
been sent to the area. But, if weather conditions do not
improve, it may take time to trek to the tourists, district SP
Sweety Agrawal said.
They had come here on a visit to Kedarnath shrine and
later proceeded to Vasukital and Mayali top, the SP said.
They were stranded since yesterday after the area
received heavy snowfall. Some shepherds informed authorities
about the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India