No repeat of extent of damages caused by rains last year: Centre, U`khand
New Delhi: The Centre and Uttarakhand government on Monday assured the Supreme Court that all measures have been put in place to prevent a repeat of the scale and extent of the damages caused by excessive rain and flash flood in the state last year.
Appearing before a bench of justice BS Chauhan and AK Sikri, the two governments submitted that all arrangements have been made for this year`s ongoing chardham yatra and they are closely monitoring to control any incident in the state.
The bench then turned down the plea of a petitioner seeking its direction to immediately stay the yatra and asked him to approach the High Court.
Senior advocate Colin Gonsalves, appearing for the petitioner, contended the situation in the state is very precarious and more casualty is likely to take place in case of excessive rain and flash flood in the state.
Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran, however, refuted the contention saying all measures have already been taken to prevent a repeat of the extent of the damages caused by such incidents last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender