Now, Badrinath faces threat of lake burst
Zee Media Bureau
Dehradun: After last month`s devastating floods and landslides, areas around Badrinath are facing a fresh threat – of a lake burst.
Authorities have issued an alert following a landslide close to the source of the Alaknanda river that has led to the creation of a 450-metre-long lake which could burst anytime and cause flooding in the river.
The lake, about 30 km from Badrinath, was formed after debris from the landslide created a blockage in the flow of the river.
Officials have however sought to allay fears saying since water was still finding its way through the blockage, there was no immediate danger to the areas downstream.
"We have issued an alert following instructions to this effect from the state Disaster Management and Mitigation department," an official said. A joint Army and ITBP team later did an aerial survey of glacial lake and found there was no reason for immediate alarm, he added.
Chief Minister Vijay Bahugana still convened a meeting of top officials to discuss the situation.
The alert has specifically been issued for areas in Badrinath, Mana, Pandukeshwar, Joshimath and Karnaprayag. The lake could also pose danger to the Badrinath shrine.
Meanwhile, heavy damage was reported from three villages in the state following a cloudburst in the Nailchami area of the Tehri Garhwal district in the wee hours of Friday.
Many houses were destroyed and a lot of land was washed away in the heavy rains that followed.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks