Now, Badrinath faces threat of lake burst
Zee Media Bureau
Dehradun: After last month`s devastating floods and landslides, areas around Badrinath are facing a fresh threat – of a lake burst.
Authorities have issued an alert following a landslide close to the source of the Alaknanda river that has led to the creation of a 450-metre-long lake which could burst anytime and cause flooding in the river.
The lake, about 30 km from Badrinath, was formed after debris from the landslide created a blockage in the flow of the river.
Officials have however sought to allay fears saying since water was still finding its way through the blockage, there was no immediate danger to the areas downstream.
"We have issued an alert following instructions to this effect from the state Disaster Management and Mitigation department," an official said. A joint Army and ITBP team later did an aerial survey of glacial lake and found there was no reason for immediate alarm, he added.
Chief Minister Vijay Bahugana still convened a meeting of top officials to discuss the situation.
The alert has specifically been issued for areas in Badrinath, Mana, Pandukeshwar, Joshimath and Karnaprayag. The lake could also pose danger to the Badrinath shrine.
Meanwhile, heavy damage was reported from three villages in the state following a cloudburst in the Nailchami area of the Tehri Garhwal district in the wee hours of Friday.
Many houses were destroyed and a lot of land was washed away in the heavy rains that followed.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh