Number of missing people in Uttarakhand may go up: NDMA
Hyderabad: The number of people who went missing in Uttarakhand following the deluge last month might exceed 4,000 as the state government is compiling final figures on the basis of FIRs registered by different states, National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) vice chairman M Sasidhar Reddy said today.
"The number of missing persons is around 4,000 as per government figures. Some NGOs estimated the number of missing persons as 11,600. The state (Uttarakhand) government is compiling figures on the basis of FIRs registered by different states. So, the figures can grow," he said.
Asked if the figure of 11,600 was close to reality, he said "this is an estimate made by NGO. I won`t go by it but we cannot also ignore it. The state government is following certain procedures. There are three categories --pilgrims, local residents and those who work as labour. I think an assessment of this numbers will have to go into the official figures".
Reddy said around 1.10 lakh people stranded in the Himalayan state following the catastrophe have been rescued and at present inaccessible habitations are being provided with essential items, besides laying roads to such remote areas.
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) have been used to make sure that nobody is left out in rescue, he said.
Replying to a query, Reddy said state governments should have a full-time vice chairman for disaster management.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says