One killed in landslide in Uttarakhand , efforts on to trace Almora SDM
Dehradun: One person was killed and another severely injured in a landslide in Uttarakhand`s Pithoragarh district on Sunday even as efforts were intensified to trace Almora SDM Ajay Arora, who slipped off a makeshift bridge and fell into the Mandakini river five days back.
"A passerby was killed while another sustained serious injuries in a landslide triggered by rains near a mountain in Jhulaghat area of Pithoragarh," said officials of Uttarakhand Disaster Mitigation and Management Centre.
A team from the local administration rushed to the spot on getting information about the incident. Efforts were being made to ascertain the identity of the affected persons, they said.
Most areas of the state witnessed cloudy skies with MeT officials predicting rain. Light showers have been reported from few places in the state.
Meanwhile, attempts to search Almora SDM Ajay Arora continued on the fifth day today.
Trained PAC and NDRF divers have been combing Mandakini river at Sonprayag and Gaurikund in a bid to look for him, Rudraprayag District Disaster Management Officer, Meera Kaintura, said.
Arora slipped off the makeshift bridge and fell into the Mandakini which was is spate following heavy rains in Rudraprayag district on July 31.
Arora was returning to the Garurchatti base camp after taking stock of the relief operations, when the mishap occurred.
The attempts to provide relief material employing mules in the affected areas and repairing the damaged roads are also going on simultaneously.
So far, 418.3 quintals of foodstuff and gas cylinders has been distributed among the affected Chamoli, Uttarkashi, Rudraprayag and Pithoragarh districts, officials said.
In a relief measure to the affected farmers, the state government has decided to purchase their agricultural produce and would also be providing cash to buy mules to those relying on mules for their livelihood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez