Opposition creates pandemonium in Uttarakhand Assembly
Dehradun: Opposition BJP on Thursday created a pandemonium in Uttarakhand Assembly disrupting proceedings over alleged move by the state government to use Sainik farm land at Pattharchatta in Udhamsingh Nagar district for purposes other than welfare of ex-servicemen and war widows.
Raising the issue in the House, Leader of Opposition Ajay Bhatt proposed a breach of privilege motion on it, saying although the government had given an assurance in the House that Sainik Farm land at Pattharchatta will not be diverted to any other use, a government order to the contrary had also been issued in the past.
Alleging that there was an attempt to mislead the House by the state government, Bhatt insisted that his breach of privilege motion on the issue be accepted.
Chief Minister Harish Rawat said there was no such government order and what the Leader of Opposition was referring to was just a circular and not a government order.
Noting that there is no justification of a breach of privilege motion on the issue, he asked the opposition to believe in the assurance given by Parliamentary Affairs Minister Indira Hridayesh in the House that the land will not be misused.
This led to a furore in the House with the opposition insisting on a breach of privilege motion and a clear-cut assurance from the Leader of the House that the interest of ex armymen and war widwos will not be compromised at any cost.
As Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal rejected the breach of privilege motion, BJP legislators stormed into the Well of the House shouting anti-governnment slogans.
When repeated appeals by the Chair failed to calm down the agitated members, the House was adjourned till 3 PM.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'