Opposition creates pandemonium in Uttarakhand Assembly
Dehradun: Opposition BJP on Thursday created a pandemonium in Uttarakhand Assembly disrupting proceedings over alleged move by the state government to use Sainik farm land at Pattharchatta in Udhamsingh Nagar district for purposes other than welfare of ex-servicemen and war widows.
Raising the issue in the House, Leader of Opposition Ajay Bhatt proposed a breach of privilege motion on it, saying although the government had given an assurance in the House that Sainik Farm land at Pattharchatta will not be diverted to any other use, a government order to the contrary had also been issued in the past.
Alleging that there was an attempt to mislead the House by the state government, Bhatt insisted that his breach of privilege motion on the issue be accepted.
Chief Minister Harish Rawat said there was no such government order and what the Leader of Opposition was referring to was just a circular and not a government order.
Noting that there is no justification of a breach of privilege motion on the issue, he asked the opposition to believe in the assurance given by Parliamentary Affairs Minister Indira Hridayesh in the House that the land will not be misused.
This led to a furore in the House with the opposition insisting on a breach of privilege motion and a clear-cut assurance from the Leader of the House that the interest of ex armymen and war widwos will not be compromised at any cost.
As Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal rejected the breach of privilege motion, BJP legislators stormed into the Well of the House shouting anti-governnment slogans.
When repeated appeals by the Chair failed to calm down the agitated members, the House was adjourned till 3 PM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- 'Madaari' is outstanding, says Deepika Padukone
- Three Taliban commanders arrested in Afghanistan's Samangan province
- Kamal Haasan still under medical care in hospital
- Kashmir unrest: Policeman injured in Burhan Wani protest dies, death toll rises to 46
- PNB Housing Finance readies Rs 2,500-crore IPO, heads to tier 2, 3 cities