`Outside help not required to restore Kedarnath temple`
New Delhi: Culture Minister Chandresh Kumari Katoch said Wednesday outside help was not required to restore Uttarakhand`s 11th century Kedarnath temple that was damaged in last month`s deluge.
"We want to restore the temple to its original glory and we have the best experts. It should be left to the department (Archaeological Survey of India) to do it," Katoch said at a press conference here.
"Others shouldn`t interfere, otherwise they will bring their own ideas," she added.
The minster`s response came on a question whether the central government would accept Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s offer to help rebuild the temple.
Katoch said the ministry had sent a team of experts to assess the damage to the temple but they could not reach there due to bad weather. "As soon as the weather clears, we will do it," she said.
On the funding required to rebuild the temple, she said the ASI will seek funds from the centre, the National Culture Fund and also raise money through public participation.
"The state government can also contribute whatever they can," she said.
ASI Director General Pravin Srivastava said the Kedarnath temple was estimated to have been built in the 11th century and the front wall had been rebuilt or restored in the 18th century.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened