New Delhi: Minister for Culture Chandresh Kumari Katoch Wednesday said "outside help" was not required to restore Uttarakhand`s 11th century Kedarnath temple that was damaged in last month`s flash floods and landslides.
"We want to restore the temple to its original glory and we have the best experts. It should be left to the department (Archaeological Survey of India)," Katoch said at a press conference here.
"Others should not interfere," she added.
The minster was replying to a question whether the central government would accept Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s offer to help rebuild the temple.
Katoch said the ministry had sent a team of experts to assess the damage to the temple. However, they could not reach Kedarnath due to inclement weather.
On the funding required to rebuild the temple, she said ASI will seek funds from the centre, the National Culture Fund and also raise money through public participation.
"The state government can also contribute," she said.
ASI director general Pravin Srivastava said the Kedarnath temple was estimated to have been built in the 11th century and its front wall had been rebuilt or restored in the 18th century.
The Kedarnath temple is at an altitude of 3,969 metres above sea level. It is built in the Rekha-Sikhara style with three different horizontal divisions.
Ishan Temple on the left corner of the Kedarnath temple was washed away in the flash floods.