Over 5,000 died in Uttarakhand floods: ActionAid
Dehradun: More than 5,000 people perished in last month`s landslides and flash floods in Uttarakhand, NGO ActionAid Tuesday said.
The NGO, which is carrying out relief operations in the state, added that estimating the number of dead was difficult.
"Tourists, migrant labourers and others had not registered on government lists, so they cannot be counted. Every time a place is cleared of debris, more bodies are found," said Barkha Chakrabarty, programme officer with ActionAid.
She said relief operations that had been severely hampered due to excessive rains were slowly picking up.
The organisation said it was trying to procure ration from local shops as food was rotting in some places.
"We will try to reach Joshimath with more relief Wednesday," Chakrabarty said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note