Over 5,000 died in Uttarakhand floods: ActionAid
Dehradun: More than 5,000 people perished in last month`s landslides and flash floods in Uttarakhand, NGO ActionAid Tuesday said.
The NGO, which is carrying out relief operations in the state, added that estimating the number of dead was difficult.
"Tourists, migrant labourers and others had not registered on government lists, so they cannot be counted. Every time a place is cleared of debris, more bodies are found," said Barkha Chakrabarty, programme officer with ActionAid.
She said relief operations that had been severely hampered due to excessive rains were slowly picking up.
The organisation said it was trying to procure ration from local shops as food was rotting in some places.
"We will try to reach Joshimath with more relief Wednesday," Chakrabarty said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam