Over 5,000 died in Uttarakhand floods: ActionAid
Dehradun: More than 5,000 people perished in last month`s landslides and flash floods in Uttarakhand, NGO ActionAid Tuesday said.
The NGO, which is carrying out relief operations in the state, added that estimating the number of dead was difficult.
"Tourists, migrant labourers and others had not registered on government lists, so they cannot be counted. Every time a place is cleared of debris, more bodies are found," said Barkha Chakrabarty, programme officer with ActionAid.
She said relief operations that had been severely hampered due to excessive rains were slowly picking up.
The organisation said it was trying to procure ration from local shops as food was rotting in some places.
"We will try to reach Joshimath with more relief Wednesday," Chakrabarty said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog