Over 5,000 died in Uttarakhand floods: ActionAid
Dehradun: More than 5,000 people perished in last month`s landslides and flash floods in Uttarakhand, NGO ActionAid Tuesday said.
The NGO, which is carrying out relief operations in the state, added that estimating the number of dead was difficult.
"Tourists, migrant labourers and others had not registered on government lists, so they cannot be counted. Every time a place is cleared of debris, more bodies are found," said Barkha Chakrabarty, programme officer with ActionAid.
She said relief operations that had been severely hampered due to excessive rains were slowly picking up.
The organisation said it was trying to procure ration from local shops as food was rotting in some places.
"We will try to reach Joshimath with more relief Wednesday," Chakrabarty said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India