Pandemonium in Uttarakhand Assembly
Dehra Dun: Opposition BJP on Tuesday accused the ruling Congress of implicating its party MLA in the Rudrapur riots case leading to pandemonium in the Uttarakhand Assembly, which saw two adjournments on the issue.
The matter was raised during Zero Hour by Leader of the Opposition Ajay Bhatt, who claimed that Rudrapur MLA Rajkumar Thukral had been booked under various sections of the IPC, including 302 (murder), "at the behest of the state government".
"It is unfortunate that the MLA, who saved the lives of scores of people during the riots, has now been booked for murder, seven months after the incident," Bhatt said.
Alleging that political vendetta was behind the murder charge being slapped against the MLA, Bhatt urged Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal to allow the issue to be raised.
Kunjwal tried to pacify the agitated members stating that he would allow them to raise the issue through a Calling Attention motion.
Not satisfied with the Speaker`s response, BJP members trooped into the well and sat on dharna, forcing Kunjwal to adjourn the House till 1300 hrs.
When the House reassembled, similar scenes were witnessed and the House was adjourned till 1500 hrs.
Thukral later told reporters that the Congress government was trying to suppress the voice of the opposition by misusing the official machinery. "The police has lodged a case of murder against me and 17 others on April 29 under pressure from the government," he alleged.
Rudrapur town of Kumaon region had witnessed largescale violence that left four people dead and scores of others injured following an alleged act of sacrilege in October last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand