Peaceful conduct of Mahakumbh is priority: Nishank
Dehradun: With crores of people expected to throng Uttarakhand for the Mahakumbh Mela that starts 14 January, the state government said peaceful conduct of the religious congregation was its top-most priority.
"Successful conduct of the Mahakumbh fair has been the utmost priority of the government for which heavy security has been put in place," Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank told.
Over 25 lakh people are expected to take a holy dip in the river Ganga on January 14, the first day of the `snan`.
Eight lakh people have already reached the city, officials said.
Nishank said all arrangements have been put in place.
The Mahakumbh Mela administration has taken control over the 130-square km area notified as Kumbh Mela area comprising parts of Haridwar, Dehradun, Tehri and Pauri districts.
According to incharge of the Mela Anand Vardhan, tight security arrangements have been made at all entry points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'