Petrol price hike rocks Uttarakhand Assembly
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand Assembly on Thursday saw unruly scenes after Opposition repeatedly disrupted House proceedings demanding discussion over the petrol price hike.
As the House assembled for the day, the Opposition members led by Leader of the Opposition Ajay Bhatt (BJP) rose to their feet demanding a discussion on the hike in prices of petrol and other commodities.
Bhatt also alleged that "anti-people policies of both the Congress-led government at the Centre and the state have made it difficult for the common man to meet their ends."
"While the Centre has failed to control skyrocketing prices of essential commodities, the state government increased the lower limit of VAT to 5 per cent and hiked the power tariff, adding to the sufferings of the common man," Bhatt said.
He appealed to Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal to give permission to raise the issue immediately under the Rule 310 (adjournment motion).
However, the Speaker asked the members to take their seats stating that the issue could be raised later during the Zero Hour.
However, the BJP members did not heed to his repeated pleas and instead jumped into the Well to press for their demand.
They also shouted against the Centre and the state government.
As the din continued, the Speaker adjourned the House till 1130 hrs and then till 1220 hrs.
After the House re-assembled, the BJP members again rose to their feet pressing to discuss the issue under Adjournment motion.
Ignoring repeated pleas of Kunjwal, the members again trooped into the Well forcing the Speaker to adjourn the House till 1600 hrs.
The BJP members also staged a dharna in the corridor of the Assembly and shouted slogans against the government.
Talking to reporters, Bhatt said the government has no explanation for its failure to check inflation and that is why it is shying away from the discussion in the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing