Petrol price hike rocks Uttarakhand Assembly
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand Assembly on Thursday saw unruly scenes after Opposition repeatedly disrupted House proceedings demanding discussion over the petrol price hike.
As the House assembled for the day, the Opposition members led by Leader of the Opposition Ajay Bhatt (BJP) rose to their feet demanding a discussion on the hike in prices of petrol and other commodities.
Bhatt also alleged that "anti-people policies of both the Congress-led government at the Centre and the state have made it difficult for the common man to meet their ends."
"While the Centre has failed to control skyrocketing prices of essential commodities, the state government increased the lower limit of VAT to 5 per cent and hiked the power tariff, adding to the sufferings of the common man," Bhatt said.
He appealed to Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal to give permission to raise the issue immediately under the Rule 310 (adjournment motion).
However, the Speaker asked the members to take their seats stating that the issue could be raised later during the Zero Hour.
However, the BJP members did not heed to his repeated pleas and instead jumped into the Well to press for their demand.
They also shouted against the Centre and the state government.
As the din continued, the Speaker adjourned the House till 1130 hrs and then till 1220 hrs.
After the House re-assembled, the BJP members again rose to their feet pressing to discuss the issue under Adjournment motion.
Ignoring repeated pleas of Kunjwal, the members again trooped into the Well forcing the Speaker to adjourn the House till 1600 hrs.
The BJP members also staged a dharna in the corridor of the Assembly and shouted slogans against the government.
Talking to reporters, Bhatt said the government has no explanation for its failure to check inflation and that is why it is shying away from the discussion in the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands