Pilgrimage to Badrinath, Gangotri suspended
Dehra Dun: The pilgrimage to the Himalayan shrines of Badrinath, Gangotri and Yamunotri was suspended after the roads leading to them were hit by fresh landslides following heavy rains on Monday, leaving hundreds of pilgrims
Landslides struck the Rishikesh-Badrinath highway at several places including Govindghat, blocking vehicular traffic. The Rishikesh-Yamunotri National Highway has also been hit by landslides at Chhatanga area, official sources said here.
The yatra to Gangotri temple remained suspended for the second consecutive day as the landslides that hit the Rishikesh-Gangotri National Highway at Sainj in Uttarkashi district yesterday have not been cleared so far.
Fresh landslides have also hit the highway at Helkugad and Netala, the sources said.
PWD, BRO and police personnel are working round-the-clock to clear the debris and reopen the road for vehicular traffic. Meanwhile, administrative teams have been sent to the affected areas to take care of the stranded pilgrims, they said.
Meanwhile, light to moderate rains continued to lash most parts of Uttarakhand with Uttarkashi receiving the heaviest rainfall at 84 mm, followed by Bhatwari (72 mm) on way to Gangotri temple during the past 24 hours, Met Director
Anand Sharma said.
Chamoli recorded a rainfall of 58 mm, Purola 40 mm and Kausani 30 mm, he said.
The Met department has predicted light to moderate rains at many places in the state and heavy rains at isolated places in Uttarkashi and Chamoli districts during the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'