Pilgrimage to Badrinath, Hemkund suspended
Gopeshwar: After the Gangotri shrine, the
pilgrimage to Badrinath temple and Hemkund Sahib gurudwara was
suspended today following landslides in Uttarakhand`s Chamoli
Rains-triggered landslides struck Pandukeshwar and
Vishnuprayag areas leaving hundreds of pilgrims stranded on
the Rishikesh-Badrinath national highway, Chamoli District
Magistrate Neeraj Semwal said.
Over 200 Border Road Organisation (BRO) and police
personnel had been pressed into service to clear the road of
the debris, he said.
It might take a couple of days to resume road traffic
on the highway, the DM said adding other districts had been
informed about the suspension of pilgrimage to Bardrinath and
On Friday, the pilgrimage to Gangotri shrine was
suspended after landslides damaged a 50-mt stretch of road at
Bhatwari on the Rishikesh-Gangotri national highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore