Pilgrimage to Badrinath, Hemkund suspended
Gopeshwar: After the Gangotri shrine, the
pilgrimage to Badrinath temple and Hemkund Sahib gurudwara was
suspended today following landslides in Uttarakhand`s Chamoli
Rains-triggered landslides struck Pandukeshwar and
Vishnuprayag areas leaving hundreds of pilgrims stranded on
the Rishikesh-Badrinath national highway, Chamoli District
Magistrate Neeraj Semwal said.
Over 200 Border Road Organisation (BRO) and police
personnel had been pressed into service to clear the road of
the debris, he said.
It might take a couple of days to resume road traffic
on the highway, the DM said adding other districts had been
informed about the suspension of pilgrimage to Bardrinath and
On Friday, the pilgrimage to Gangotri shrine was
suspended after landslides damaged a 50-mt stretch of road at
Bhatwari on the Rishikesh-Gangotri national highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends