Pilgrimage to Badrinath, Hemkund suspended
Gopeshwar: After the Gangotri shrine, the
pilgrimage to Badrinath temple and Hemkund Sahib gurudwara was
suspended today following landslides in Uttarakhand`s Chamoli
Rains-triggered landslides struck Pandukeshwar and
Vishnuprayag areas leaving hundreds of pilgrims stranded on
the Rishikesh-Badrinath national highway, Chamoli District
Magistrate Neeraj Semwal said.
Over 200 Border Road Organisation (BRO) and police
personnel had been pressed into service to clear the road of
the debris, he said.
It might take a couple of days to resume road traffic
on the highway, the DM said adding other districts had been
informed about the suspension of pilgrimage to Bardrinath and
On Friday, the pilgrimage to Gangotri shrine was
suspended after landslides damaged a 50-mt stretch of road at
Bhatwari on the Rishikesh-Gangotri national highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees