Pilgrimage to Badrinath, Hemkund suspended
Gopeshwar: After the Gangotri shrine, the
pilgrimage to Badrinath temple and Hemkund Sahib gurudwara was
suspended today following landslides in Uttarakhand`s Chamoli
Rains-triggered landslides struck Pandukeshwar and
Vishnuprayag areas leaving hundreds of pilgrims stranded on
the Rishikesh-Badrinath national highway, Chamoli District
Magistrate Neeraj Semwal said.
Over 200 Border Road Organisation (BRO) and police
personnel had been pressed into service to clear the road of
the debris, he said.
It might take a couple of days to resume road traffic
on the highway, the DM said adding other districts had been
informed about the suspension of pilgrimage to Bardrinath and
On Friday, the pilgrimage to Gangotri shrine was
suspended after landslides damaged a 50-mt stretch of road at
Bhatwari on the Rishikesh-Gangotri national highway.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'