Pilgrimage to Yamunotri suspended
Dehradun: Rain-triggered landslides today
blocked vehicular traffic at Banas in Uttarkashi district
prompting authorities to suspend the pilgrimage to Yamunotri.
Authorities had yesterday suspended the pilgrimage to
Badrinath and Hemkund Sahib, after landslides destroyed parts
of highway at Lambagar, Vishnuprayag and Pandukeshwar in
Chamoli district where hundreds of pilgrims remain stranded.
An official of the Disaster Management Mitigation Centre
(DMMC) here said the yatra to Yamunotri was suspended due to
landslides at Banas area.
The district administration has moved its resources to
clear the debris and repair the roads, but it could take a
couple of days to resume the vehicular traffic on the
Vishnuprayag-Pandukeshwar road, officials said.
The Uttarakhand government has roped in Border Road
Organization (BRO), ITBP and state police for making temporary
"We are trying our best to make all sort of arrangements
for the safe return of the pilgrims stranded near the
Badrinath temple," District Magistrate of Chamoli, Neeraj
Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank is monitoring the
entire situation, an official spokesman said.
The yatra to Gangotri shrine also remained suspended
since Friday, after a road had caved in at Bhatwari area due
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed