Pilgrimage to Yamunotri suspended
Dehradun: Rain-triggered landslides today
blocked vehicular traffic at Banas in Uttarkashi district
prompting authorities to suspend the pilgrimage to Yamunotri.
Authorities had yesterday suspended the pilgrimage to
Badrinath and Hemkund Sahib, after landslides destroyed parts
of highway at Lambagar, Vishnuprayag and Pandukeshwar in
Chamoli district where hundreds of pilgrims remain stranded.
An official of the Disaster Management Mitigation Centre
(DMMC) here said the yatra to Yamunotri was suspended due to
landslides at Banas area.
The district administration has moved its resources to
clear the debris and repair the roads, but it could take a
couple of days to resume the vehicular traffic on the
Vishnuprayag-Pandukeshwar road, officials said.
The Uttarakhand government has roped in Border Road
Organization (BRO), ITBP and state police for making temporary
"We are trying our best to make all sort of arrangements
for the safe return of the pilgrims stranded near the
Badrinath temple," District Magistrate of Chamoli, Neeraj
Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank is monitoring the
entire situation, an official spokesman said.
The yatra to Gangotri shrine also remained suspended
since Friday, after a road had caved in at Bhatwari area due
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what