Pilgrims from Puducherry stranded Uttarakhand to be airlifted
Puducherr: Puducherry Local Administration Minister NG Panneerselvam has said the pilgrims, who were stranded in the rain ravaged Uttarakhand, were safe and would be airlifted to the union territory.
Pannnerselvam, deputed by Chief Minister N Rangasamy to Uttarakhand to facilitate safe return of the pilgrims of Puducherry told a news agency from Dehra Dun late last night that 50 pilgrims who set out on the spiritual trip to Uttarakhand were now staying in a hotel at Sukhi Top in Gangotri.
The Minister was accompanied by Special Representative of Puducherry government A Bakthavatchalam, the Resident Commissioner in New Delhi Meena and his personal secretary Srinivasan.
All the pilgrims were being evacuated from their present accommodation centre, he said.
Panneerselvam said since there was massive landslide the pilgrims could come only on foot from Gangotri to the helipad at Harsil covering a distance of around 15 kms. The pilgrims would leave the hotel at six AM today to reach the helipad.
Asked about the health condition of the pilgrims who embarked on the pilgrimage on May 28, he said that there was no problem although some of pilgrims complained of certain health setback.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- Rags to riches: Bihar welder's son bags Rs 1 crore job offer with Microsoft