PM seeks report on Onida factory fire
Dehradun: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has
sought a report on the fire incident at an Onida factory in Uttarakhand that has claimed 10 lives, even as the Centre asked the Khanduri government to order safety audit of all
factories in the hill state.
"The Prime Minister has sought a report on the blaze. I
will prepare the report and submit to him," Union Minister
Harish Rawat, who represent Haridwar Lok Sabha constituency
where the incident took place, said.
Rawat said the Centre has asked the Uttarkhand government
to conduct a safety audit of all the factories in the state.
"We think that safety standards in most of the factories
are in poor conditions. So we have asked the state government
to order safety audit of all the factories in the state,"
Rawat said from Haridwar after visiting the site of the
fire in Mandawali area.
Rawat said he has written a letter to state Chief
Secretary Subhash Kumar for the purpose of safety audit.
An identical letter has been sent to DGFASLI, a
government-controlled technical agency, which carries safety
audits, the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs said.
Meanwhile, the death toll in the factory today reached 10
with the recovery of one more body. Nine bodies were yesterday
recovered from the site.
Sunil Jham, assistant general manager of the factory, was
among those killed in the fire, Manglaur Deputy Superintendent
of Police Arun Kumar Pandey said. A DNA test will be conducted
to establish the identify of the bodies which are charred
The fire, which broke out Wednesday evening, has now been
doused, Manglaur Deputy Superintendent of Police Arun Kumar
A rescue operation is still continuing in the factory
premises, Pandey said, adding that one factory employee is
still missing. The exact cause of the fire has not been
ascertained as of now, the officer said.
Police has filed a case against factory owner Mirk
Chandani and General Manager Sudhir Mahindra in connection
with the fire incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa