PM seeks report on Onida factory fire
Dehradun: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has
sought a report on the fire incident at an Onida factory in Uttarakhand that has claimed 10 lives, even as the Centre asked the Khanduri government to order safety audit of all
factories in the hill state.
"The Prime Minister has sought a report on the blaze. I
will prepare the report and submit to him," Union Minister
Harish Rawat, who represent Haridwar Lok Sabha constituency
where the incident took place, said.
Rawat said the Centre has asked the Uttarkhand government
to conduct a safety audit of all the factories in the state.
"We think that safety standards in most of the factories
are in poor conditions. So we have asked the state government
to order safety audit of all the factories in the state,"
Rawat said from Haridwar after visiting the site of the
fire in Mandawali area.
Rawat said he has written a letter to state Chief
Secretary Subhash Kumar for the purpose of safety audit.
An identical letter has been sent to DGFASLI, a
government-controlled technical agency, which carries safety
audits, the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs said.
Meanwhile, the death toll in the factory today reached 10
with the recovery of one more body. Nine bodies were yesterday
recovered from the site.
Sunil Jham, assistant general manager of the factory, was
among those killed in the fire, Manglaur Deputy Superintendent
of Police Arun Kumar Pandey said. A DNA test will be conducted
to establish the identify of the bodies which are charred
The fire, which broke out Wednesday evening, has now been
doused, Manglaur Deputy Superintendent of Police Arun Kumar
A rescue operation is still continuing in the factory
premises, Pandey said, adding that one factory employee is
still missing. The exact cause of the fire has not been
ascertained as of now, the officer said.
Police has filed a case against factory owner Mirk
Chandani and General Manager Sudhir Mahindra in connection
with the fire incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt