Poornanand`s fast enters 16th day
Haridwar: The fast of a seer here, demanding immediate initiation of CBI inquiry into the alleged murder of Swami Nigamanand, on Sunday entered the 16th day despite the Centre’s issuing a notification on August 10 for handing over the probe to the agency.
Swami Poornanand of the Matri Sadan ashram began his fast on July 30 seeking immediate initiation of CBI inquiry into the death of Swami Nigamanand, who died on June 13 after fasting for over four months in protest against illegal mining on the Ganga riverbed.
Swami Dayanand, the spokesman of Matri Sadan ashram, said the fast of Swami Poornanand would continue until they receive any information from the CBI or the state government regarding initiation of inquiry.
Furthermore, he said, when the ashram inquired about the CBI probe, they were told that the file is still pending in the personnel department at the Centre. Swami Nigamanand belonged to the Matri Sadan ashram until he died on June 13 in a hospital near here after
remaining in coma for more than a month. He had begun his indefinite fast in February this year.
In April, he was admitted to a hospital, when he complained of vomiting. Later, his condition deteriorated and he went into coma on May 2. Matri Sadan ashram founder head Swami Shivanand, alleged that Swami Nigamanand was murdered by being given poison during treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials