Portals of Gangotri closed for winter
Dehra Dun: The portals of the famous
Himalayan shrine of Gangotri was on Friday closed for pilgrims for
winter season, official sources said.
The temple in Garhwal Himalayas was closed at 1 pm, with
the main priest locking its doors in the presence of senior
administrative and police officials.
Two other Himalayan shrines of Kedarnath and Yamunotri
will be closed tomorrow while the Badrinath temple will be
closed on November 17.
These four shrines, comprising the `Char Dham Yatra`, are
closed every year in October-November and reopened the next
year in April-May as the area remains snow-bound during the
The shrines attract lakhs of pilgrims every year during
the yatra season from April to November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?
- Govt blocks over 800 porn websites – complete list
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!