Portals of Gangotri closed for winter
Dehra Dun: The portals of the famous
Himalayan shrine of Gangotri was on Friday closed for pilgrims for
winter season, official sources said.
The temple in Garhwal Himalayas was closed at 1 pm, with
the main priest locking its doors in the presence of senior
administrative and police officials.
Two other Himalayan shrines of Kedarnath and Yamunotri
will be closed tomorrow while the Badrinath temple will be
closed on November 17.
These four shrines, comprising the `Char Dham Yatra`, are
closed every year in October-November and reopened the next
year in April-May as the area remains snow-bound during the
The shrines attract lakhs of pilgrims every year during
the yatra season from April to November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest