Portals of Kedarnath, Yamunotri closed for winters
Dehra Dun: Portals of Himalayan shrines of
Kedarnath and Yamunotri shrines were closed for the winter
season, on Bhaiya Duj on Sunday.
Amid sounds of conch shells and drum beating, chief
priests of both the shrines performed special puja and closed
the doors for pilgrims for a period of six months, in the
presence of administrative officials, Vice Chairman of
Chardham Vikas Parishad Surat Ram Nautiyal said.
Kedarnath shrine, situated in Rudraprayag district, was
closed at 0830 hrs in the morning while Yamunotri in
Uttarkashi district was closed at 1345 hrs, he added.
Thousands of pilgrims were present in the premises of the
temples, braving chilly winds at the closing ceremony.
Another Himalayan shrine of Gangotri, situated at a
height of over 10,000 feet in Uttarkashi district of
Uttarakhand, was closed on the occasion of "Annakut parv"
yesterday. Badrinath shrine, dedicated to Lord Vishnu in
Chamoli district would be closed on November 18.
The four Himalayan shrines of Badrinath, Kedarnath,
Gangotri and Yamunotri, collectively known as Chardham are
closed in October-November every year as the area remains
snow-bound during winters and reopened in Apr-May next year.
During the six-month long Yatra season, the four shrines
attract lakhs of pilgrims from home and abroad every year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs