Pre-fabricated houses come up in Kedarnath
Dehradun: With pilgrimage to Kedarnath likely to resume next month, pre-fabricated houses with power and water connectivity have been built at the Himalayan shrine to accommodate 100 people.
Chief Secretary Subhash Kumar, who visited Kedarnath yesterday to take stock of the arrangements there, said pre-fabricated houses fitted with power and water facilities and a capacity to accommodate 100 persons are ready at the shrine.
Besides these, makeshift tents have also been pitched at the shrine to accommodate 150 people, he said, adding that street lights have also been put up along the path leading to the temple.
Kumar, who traversed a distance of about 20 km on foot in Kedar valley to assess the road restoration work in progress at Jankichatti, Rambara, Gaurikund and Sonprayag, said a nine km stretch between Sonprayag and the shrine is fit for horses and mules to operate, but some more work needs to to be done at a few points, for which instructions have been issued to PWD personnel.
PWD engineers have been asked to repair the damaged portions of the roads, including the one km stretch between Rambara and Gaurikund, expeditiously so that the state government could achieve its target of resuming the journey in early October.
Prayers at the Kedarnath shrine, which was one of the worst hit in the June 16-17 flashfloods, were resumed on September 11 but yatra to the shrine, suspended since the calamity, could not be restarted with condition of roads still not conducive for it.
However, a few days after the resumption of prayers at the shrine, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna had said efforts were on to resume pilgrimage to Kedarnath on October 1 if all preparations are completed by that time.
Bahuguna will hold a meeting with officials of Badrinath- Kedarnath Samiti and the district administration here on September 30 to take a final call on when to resume yatra to Kedarnath shrine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs