Pre-fabricated houses come up in Kedarnath
Dehradun: With pilgrimage to Kedarnath likely to resume next month, pre-fabricated houses with power and water connectivity have been built at the Himalayan shrine to accommodate 100 people.
Chief Secretary Subhash Kumar, who visited Kedarnath yesterday to take stock of the arrangements there, said pre-fabricated houses fitted with power and water facilities and a capacity to accommodate 100 persons are ready at the shrine.
Besides these, makeshift tents have also been pitched at the shrine to accommodate 150 people, he said, adding that street lights have also been put up along the path leading to the temple.
Kumar, who traversed a distance of about 20 km on foot in Kedar valley to assess the road restoration work in progress at Jankichatti, Rambara, Gaurikund and Sonprayag, said a nine km stretch between Sonprayag and the shrine is fit for horses and mules to operate, but some more work needs to to be done at a few points, for which instructions have been issued to PWD personnel.
PWD engineers have been asked to repair the damaged portions of the roads, including the one km stretch between Rambara and Gaurikund, expeditiously so that the state government could achieve its target of resuming the journey in early October.
Prayers at the Kedarnath shrine, which was one of the worst hit in the June 16-17 flashfloods, were resumed on September 11 but yatra to the shrine, suspended since the calamity, could not be restarted with condition of roads still not conducive for it.
However, a few days after the resumption of prayers at the shrine, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna had said efforts were on to resume pilgrimage to Kedarnath on October 1 if all preparations are completed by that time.
Bahuguna will hold a meeting with officials of Badrinath- Kedarnath Samiti and the district administration here on September 30 to take a final call on when to resume yatra to Kedarnath shrine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday