President to donate one month`s salary for Uttarakhand victims
New Dehi: President Pranab Mukherjee will donate his one month`s salary for the victims of flood-ravaged Uttrakhand.
The President has asked the department concerned to send his one month`s salary to Uttrakhand Chief Minister`s relief fund, official sources said here today.
The monthly salary of the President is Rs 1.5 lakh. The toll in the unprecedented tragedy yesterday rose to 680 with 123 bodies being recovered from Kedarnath area and Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna saying the casualty figures may touch the 1,000 mark given the massive scale of devastation.
Mukherjee has already cancelled his annual retreat to Himachal Pradesh so that there was no extra burden on the state government which is also fighting the unprecedented rains.
Mukherjee was scheduled to visit Shimla from June 28 to July 1. Several parts of Himachal Pradesh including Mandi, Kufri, Kasauli and Kinnaur received heavy rains causing damage to property. Even Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh had to be airlifted from Kinnaur after he was trapped due to landslides for nearly 50 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says