Qureshi rejects search panel recommendations on VC
Dehradun: Departing from tradition, Uttarakhand Governor Aziz Qureshi has turned down the recommendations of a government panel on the appointment of GB Pant Agriculture University Vice Chancellor.
Expressing dissatisfaction with the names of three candidates suggested by the search committee, Qureshi said he would like to see the entire list of applicants for the post before taking a final call on the matter.
"I have received the three names shortlisted by the search committee. But I have sought the list of all the 100 odd applicants from the panel to see who were rejected and on what grounds," Qureshi told reporters at Raj Bhawan on Thursday.
The search committee headed by state Agriculture Minister Harak Singh Rawat submitted its shortlist of three names to the governor late last year but is still awaiting his approval for one of the names suggested by the panel.
Tradition has it that the governor picks up one of the names suggested by the panel for appointment as VC.
However, asserting that his effort is to restore the esteemed university to its past glory, he said the Vice Chancellor`s post will not remain vacant for long.
"I have always wanted this great institution to return to its past glory. I heard that its hostels were not in good condition, that educational standards had also suffered over the years.
"I appointed temporary VCs like present Chief Secretary Subhash Kumar and his predecessor Alok Jain who did a wonderful job but total cure would not be possible until a full time VC is appointed," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview