Rahul Gandhi meets kin of Uttarakhand tragedy victims
New Delhi: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Sunday met the family members of the victims of last year`s Uttarakhand flash flood tragedy here.
The youth Congress, engaged in relief and rehabilitation work in the region, has taken the initiative of inviting affected families to Delhi as guests for the Republic Day parade.
The Congress government in the state had undertaken extensive relief and rehabilitation work in the aftermath of the tragedy. It also focused on providing scholarships to children belonging to the families badly affected by the calamity.
It had also provided medical support for the aged and livelihood to widows.
During their interaction with Rahul, the children shared their experiences and appreciated the help.
Gandhi assured them his party is committed to taking all necessary measures to bring relief to those affected by the devastating natural disaster, a Congress statement said.
In June 2013 unprecedented flash floods and landslides in Uttarakhand had wreaked havoc uprooting countless families and resulting in loss of life and destruction on an unimaginable scale.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Focus on defence, security as PM Modi meets Uzbek President
- President tells IIT, IISc-Bangalore and IISER scholars to make India great
- Accident blocks Delhi-Howrah rail route, two dozen trains diverted
- Israel says Abbas reviving old `blood libel` against Jews
- Colombia government, FARC rebels sign ceasefire