Rahul Gandhi meets kin of Uttarakhand tragedy victims
New Delhi: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Sunday met the family members of the victims of last year`s Uttarakhand flash flood tragedy here.
The youth Congress, engaged in relief and rehabilitation work in the region, has taken the initiative of inviting affected families to Delhi as guests for the Republic Day parade.
The Congress government in the state had undertaken extensive relief and rehabilitation work in the aftermath of the tragedy. It also focused on providing scholarships to children belonging to the families badly affected by the calamity.
It had also provided medical support for the aged and livelihood to widows.
During their interaction with Rahul, the children shared their experiences and appreciated the help.
Gandhi assured them his party is committed to taking all necessary measures to bring relief to those affected by the devastating natural disaster, a Congress statement said.
In June 2013 unprecedented flash floods and landslides in Uttarakhand had wreaked havoc uprooting countless families and resulting in loss of life and destruction on an unimaginable scale.
- NEET 2016: Government will take final call, says Venkaiah Naidu
- Next Odd-Even phase only after public consultation: Satyendar Jain
- IPL 9: Kings XI Punjab's Shaun Marsh ruled out for remainder of the tournament
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders vs Royal Challengers Bangalore – Players to watch out for; probable playing XIs
- AIADMK protests transfers of IAS, IPS officers by Election Commission