Rahul Gandhi meets kin of Uttarakhand tragedy victims
New Delhi: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Sunday met the family members of the victims of last year`s Uttarakhand flash flood tragedy here.
The youth Congress, engaged in relief and rehabilitation work in the region, has taken the initiative of inviting affected families to Delhi as guests for the Republic Day parade.
The Congress government in the state had undertaken extensive relief and rehabilitation work in the aftermath of the tragedy. It also focused on providing scholarships to children belonging to the families badly affected by the calamity.
It had also provided medical support for the aged and livelihood to widows.
During their interaction with Rahul, the children shared their experiences and appreciated the help.
Gandhi assured them his party is committed to taking all necessary measures to bring relief to those affected by the devastating natural disaster, a Congress statement said.
In June 2013 unprecedented flash floods and landslides in Uttarakhand had wreaked havoc uprooting countless families and resulting in loss of life and destruction on an unimaginable scale.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next