Rahul Gandhi visits relief camp in Guptkashi
Guptkashi: Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday visited the rescue camp here and talked to locals and officials about the status of relief operations in flood-ravaged Uttarakhand.
The locals narrated their woes to Gandhi, who assured them that government will soon take steps to help them.
"Give us two days, let us just send the pilgrims and tourists home first, all our attention would be to you then. The Centre and the state government both will take steps to help you," Gandhi told the locals.
He was briefed by Rudraprayag SDM Laxmi Raj Chauhan about the steps being taken to address the needs of the villagers in the area.
A local requested that people from the area be allowed to visit Kedarnath, Rambada, Gauri Kund and other regions to bring back bodies of their kin.
Responding to the request, Gandhi said it would not be possible to send every local who had relatives missing to calamity-hit areas. "If there are say, six-seven locals who can recognise the most number of people, something can be arranged for them. But there is a lot of rubble there.
"We are thinking of flying in two JCB machines via helicopters to remove that," he said.
Another local told him that they have lost their main source of income.
"We will be acting on all your concerns, just give us time," the Congress leader said.
As Gandhi was taking a stock of the situation, about 500 m away in the main market thoroughfare, locals shouted slogans against the state government saying, the response to the crisis was "appalling".
"Families here have not only been bereaved, many are without proper food and clothing, but nothing is being done for them," they alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?